An Award Winning Festival
The Arts in the Heart of Augusta Festival is well-loved in the Central Savannah River Area. This award-winning festival continues to garner more and more attention at both local and regional levels. Known for being providing a fun, family-friendly atmosphere with lots of delicious food, most people might be surprised to know that the Festival brings in over $3.2 million in direct visitor spending! That’s no typo either!
• Top 200 Event, ranking at 67th, in Sunshine Artist magazine in 2014
• Top 200 Event, ranking at 73rd, in Sunshine Artist magazine in 2013
• Silver Kaleidoscope Award for Best Festival in 2014 from Southeast Festival and Event Association
• Bronze Kaleidoscope Award for Best Volunteer in 2014 from Southeast Festival and Event Association
• Best Festival for 2010-2014 by readers of the Augusta Magazine
• Best Annual Festival in 2013 by readers of the Columbia County Magazine
• Top 20 Event in the Southeast in 2013 by Southeast Tourism Society
• Top 200 Event (debuting at a ranking of 73rd) by Sunshine Artist magazine
• Top USA Event by Publishers of Top Events USA, an independent event reviewer
• Gold ADDY Award (Logo) - 2009 American Advertising Federation ADDY Awards (Augusta)
• Unity Award in 1999 and 2002 from the Alpha Chi Lambda Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha
The Arts in the Heart of Augusta Festival, frequently described as “Augusta’s finest moment,” was founded in 1981 by the Greater Augusta Arts Council.
The festival takes place on Broad Street and the Augusta Common. Broad Street between 7th and 10th Streets will be closed off for the Fine Arts and Crafts Market, featuring over 120 fine artists and fine crafters who were selected by jury. There will be plenty of shade to make the festival an enjoyable experience for attendees, and there will be wide and varied handmade goods to suit every budget.
The Global Village, located on the Augusta Common and Broad Street, will host ethnic food from around the world, cooked and served by local ethnic associations.
At the Arts in the Heart of Augusta Festival, there are four stages filled with nonstop performances from groups all over the Central Savannah River Area. There is also a free Hands-On Area for Children and a Young Artist Market for entrepreneurs 18 and under.
Chairman: Saundra Plunkett
Logistics: Mike Sleeper
Vice Logistics: Trey Enfinger, James Van Meter
Ice: Ed Durant
Bar managers: Rusty Winter
Advisor: John Lovin
Fine Arts & Craft : Sallie West, Ooollee Bricker, Katy Perrin
Global Village: Gary Tom
Opening: Mary Jones
Sponsorship: Brenda Durant
Sponsor Manager: Gary Dennis
Security: JR Compton
Children’s Area: Cheri Tutt
Young Artists Market: Nancy Johnson
Hospitality/Info: Dorothy Williams
Finance: Takiyah Douse
VIP: Lisa Taylor
Marketing: Rhian Swain, Sallie West
Volunteer – Administrative: Jamie Lowe
Volunteer – Site & Youth: Joy and Don Ray
Ft. Gordon: Mary Jones
Members Area: GAAC Staff
Dispatch: Debbi Dickens and Laurie Cook
Performance/Stages: Brenda Durant
Community Stage: Spenser Shadden
Amped Contest: Steven Uhles
Troubadour Stage: Russell Oglesby, Leza Witherington & "Lady V"
Merchandise & Income Zones: Cheryl Culpepper (Shirts & Hot dogs)
Hot Dog Stand: Dennis Sodomka & Wayne Guilfoyle