An Award Winning Festival• Best Festival for 2013 by readers of the Augusta Magazine
• Top 20 Event in the Southeast in 2013 by Southeast Festival and Events Association
• Top 200 Event (debuting at a ranking of 73rd) by Sunshine Artist magazine
• Top USA Event by Publishers of Top Events USA, an independent event reviewer
• Bronze Kaleidoscope Award for Best Website in 2011 from Southeast Festivals and Events
• Gold ADDY Award (Logo) - 2009 American Advertising Federation ADDY Awards (Augusta)
• Unity Award in 1999 and 2002 from the Alpha Chi Lambda Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha
• Best Local Festival, 2010-2012
About the Festival
The 2013 Arts in the Heart of Augusta Festival marks the 33rd year that the Greater Augusta Arts council has produced this event, frequently described as “Augusta’s finest moment.” This year, the festival returns to Broad Street and the Augusta Common.
Broad Street, between 8th and 11th Streets will be closed off for the Fine Arts and Crafts Market, featuring 115 artisans selected by jury. There will be plenty of shade to make the festival an enjoyable experience for attendees, and there will be wide and varied handmade goods to suit every budget.
The Global Village, located on the Augusta Common, will host ethnic food from around the world. New countries that will be represented this year are France, Bulgaria and Trinidad and will stand next to favorites from years past such as Germany, China, India, Pakistan and more.
At Arts in the Heart of Augusta, there are four stages filled with nonstop performances from groups all over the CSRA. On Saturday evening, enjoy viewing the finalists in “Amped: the Augusta Chronicle Musical Contest.” There is also a free Hands-On Area for Children, sponsored by McDonald’s, and a Young Artist Market for entrepreneurs 18 and under.
• NEW - Trinidad, France and Bulgaria in Global Village
• NEW - SGI International exhibit "The Century of Women"
• NEW - Grilling demonstrations by Fireside Outdoor Kitchens
• NEW - Sample's from Children's Area sponsor McDonald's
• NEW - 16 x 20 Festival Arts Posters for sale
• NEW - Special Concerts by Mama Says and AcostA
• NEW - Afternoon concert series by Augusta's Singer Songwriter Guild
Chairman: Saundra Plunkett
Logistics: Mike Sleeper
Vice Logistics: Trey Enfinger, James Van Meter
Ice: Ed Durant
Bar managers: Rusty Winter
Advisor: John Lovin
Fine Arts & Craft : Sallie West, Ooollee Bricker, Katy Perrin
Global Village: Gary Tom
Opening: Mary Jones
Sponsorship: Brenda Durant
Sponsor Manager: Daphne Jones
Security: JR Compton
Children’s Area: Cheri Tutt
Young Artists Market: Nancy Johnson
Hospitality/Info: Dorothy Williams
Finance: Takiyah Douse
VIP: Lisa Taylor
Marketing: Rhian Swain, Sallie West
Volunteer – Administrative: Jamie Lowe
Volunteer – Site & Youth: Joy and Don Ray
Ft. Gordon: Mary Jones
Members Area: GAAC Staff
Dispatch: Debbi Dickens and Laurie Cook
Performance/Stages: Brenda Durant
Community Stage: Spenser Shadden
Amped Contest: Steven Uhles
Troubadour Stage: Russell Oglesby, Leza Witherington & "Lady V"
Merchandise & Income Zones: Cheryl Culpepper (Shirts & Hot dogs)
Hot Dog Stand: Dennis Sodomka & Wayne Guilfoyle